THE HONOURS PROGRAM
CODE OF PRACTICE
- The students who successfully complete 4 Classical Arabic and 8 of the elective courses that are in the pool of Honours Program courses during their undergraduate studies along with the departmental curriculum courses are awarded the Honours Program Certificate.
- The Honours Program is designed as a two-staged program and the students who succeed in the compulsory Classical Arabic and two elective courses are entitled to receive a 1st Level Honours Program Certificate.
- Among the courses of the Honours Program, those that can be taken within the scope of primary major can be substituted for Honours Program course load; however, those students must take at least six elective courses apart from their primary major curriculum.
- In cases where the courses to be taken for double major and minor programs overlap with those of the Honours Program, these courses can be used for both programs.
- Those who submit a valid Arabic Proficiency certificate at C1 level or who succeed in the exemption exam are exempted from compulsory Classical Arabic courses.
- The Honours Program Certificate can be applied at any semester in the undergraduate program, on the dates specified in the academic calendar. In order to apply, it is necessary to successfully complete the preparation program and to have a minimum of 3,00 GPA for those studying in the undergraduate program.
- The Coordinatorship of the Honours Program receives the applications. The list of students who meet the application requirement is submitted to the University Board and those are deemed the Honours Program students with the University Board of Directors’ decision.
- As in the undergraduate programs, attendance is compulsory at the rate of 80% in the Honours Program.
- Since the success in the primary major is principal, the students whose primary major GPA falls below 2,50 for two consecutive semesters are disenrolled from the program. The courses taken within the scope of this program are substituted for primary major course requirements.
- In order to be entitled to the Honours Program Certificate, the student needs to graduate from the primary major with a minimum of 3.00 GPA.
HONOURS PROGRAM COURSE POOL
|Course Group||Sequence No||Course Code||Course Name||R/E||Double Major/Minor Curriculum|
|Classical Arabic||1||ARA 401||Basic Classical Arabic||R|
|2||ARA 402||Intermediate Classical Arabic||R|
|3||ARA 403||Advanced Classical Arabic I||R|
|4||ARA 404||Advanced Classical Arabic II||R|
|History||5||HIST 311||Early Islamic History: A Survey (to AD 1100)||E||History
|6||HIST 312||Islamic History: The Middle Period (c.945-1500)||E||History
|7||SIS 204||Islamic History||E||Islamic Studies double major|
|Logic||8||SIS 307||Klasik Mantık||E|
|9||PHIL 103||Logic I||E||Philosophy
|Philosophy of Islamic Jurisprudence||10||SIS 401||Usul al-Fiqh||E||Islamic Studies double major|
|11||SIS 419||Klasik Fıkıh Metinleri||E|
|12||PHIL 453||Philosophy of Islamic Jurisprudence||E|
|13||ECON 408||Islamic Economics and Finance||E|
|14||LAW 320||İslam Hukuk Metodolojisi||E|
|Sociology||15||SOC 405||Contemporary Social Thought in the Muslim World||E||Sociology
|16||SIS 410||Selected Readings from Muqaddima||E|
|17||PHIL 451||Introduction to Ibn Khaldun’s Muqaddima||E|
|18||SOC 403||Khaldunian Sociology I||E||Sociology
|19||SOC 306||History of Social Thought in Turkey||E||Sociology
|Politics||20||POLS 325||Islamic Political Thought||E|
|21||POLS 479||Ottoman Political Thought||E|
|22||POLS 438||Modern Islamic Political Thought||E|
|23||POLS 250||Classical Political Theory||E||Politics
|24||PSY 418||Psychology in the Islamic Tradition||E|
|25||PSY 434||Psychology of Religion||E|
|26||SIS 411||Klasik Tasavvuf Metinleri||E|
|27||SIS 427||İslam Ahlak Esasları||E|
|Debate and Wad’||28||PHIL 452||Philosophy of Language||E||Philosophy
|29||PSY 435||Language and Thinking||E|
|30||SIS 414||Adab-ı Bahs ve Münazara||E|
|31||SIS 417||Ilm al-Wad’||E|
|Philosophy||32||PHIL 101||Basic Questions of Philosophy||E||Philosophy
|33||PHIL 301||Islamic Philosophy I||E||Philosophy
|34||PHIL 445||Philosophy of Mind||E|
|35||PHIL 428||Farabi and Ibn Sina||E|
|Law||36||LAW 107||Hukuka Giriş||E||Law
|37||LAW 105||Mukayeseli Hukuk I||E||Law double major|
|38||LAW 106||Mukayeseli Hukuk II||E||Law double major|
|39||LAW 219||Mukayeseli Hukuk III||E|
|40||LAW 220||Mukayeseli Hukuk IV||E|
|41||SIS 305||Islamic Law I||E||Islamic Studies double major/minor|
|42||SIS 306||Islamic Law II||E||Islamic Studies double major/minor|
|Literature||43||LIT 330||Survey of Arabic Literature||E|
|44||LIT 360||Travel Literature||E|
|Islamic Studies||45||SIS 202||İslam İbadet Esasları||E||Islamic Studies double major/minor|
|46||SIS 201||İslam İnanç Esasları||E||Islamic Studies double major/minor|
|47||PHIL 423||Philosophy of Kalam||E|
|49||SIS 407||Hadis Metinleri||E|